korean music feeds my soul

Post Page Advertisement [Top]


- disclaimer: this post is written merely based on my personal view and experience on 171111 SM Global Audition II in Kuala Lumpur -

So... I took part in the 2017 SM Global Audition in Kuala Lumpur.

I know I'm a potato but don't judge me yet... I wasn't there to sing or dance because I know I can't, so instead I joined the Composer(Lyricist) category.
Audition Date: 11 November 2017
Audition Venue: The Federal Kuala Lumpur
I do understand that most people were there for Singer/Dancer category but I didn't know it would be so difficult to find people who went for Composer/Lyricist category. I actually had a hard time looking for experience posts and I'm hoping this not-too-long entry will help a little.

I already shared my experience on my Twitter but since I ain't always active there, I'm writing one complete entry right here. (to keep as memory as well!) There isn't really much to say, though.



So... the story began in April when SM announced the list of countries included in SM Global Audition II. When I knew SM was going to hold Global Audition in Malaysia this year, I promised myself that I must join.

In June, I sent a few questions to the e-mail address provided for inquiry purpose, but sadly... I did not receive any feedback.

I was kinda afraid that I could not prepare enough work of sufficient quality by November due to my high level of procrastination and lack of confidence. I did not bother to submit my application until August... but still, I didn't submit because I was so hesitant and certain at the same time. (???) (if you understand what I'm saying... ermmm Taurus problem.)

In early October, I found out that some people had received response from SM by e-mail (I got nothing because I haven't submitted my application by that time) So I quickly and finally sent mine via e-mail, after a few days (see, it still took few days of hesitation.)

Time flies and it's already November! D-MONTH (???) YAYYY! And guess what? I haven't received e-mail from SM which means, I won't be able to take part, although I already knew the location of audition from others' posts.

So I resent my application through the official website, and received reply right on the next day.

Now you ask, why didn't I just submit using the online application in the first place?
- There was an UPLOAD option but unfortunately I couldn't choose DOC/PDF file types.
- I couldn't choose which category I was going to take part in. Basically I just fill in a few boxes (basic info), upload something and submit. (since I couldn't attach doc file, I simply uploaded a photo of mine.)

I'm guessing they could be too busy to check e-mails... and the reply I got was probably an auto-reply. Anyway, you know what to do 😁

e-mail reply from SM

Now another problem arose... My audition time is 17:00PM. But when I looked at others' posts there were mostly 12PM, 1PM and the latest I saw was 2PM. To avoid any issues, I went to the venue early on D-DAY.


There was a lot of young people but not as crowded as I expected. From what I read on Twitter, KL stop did not receive as much overwhelming response as compared to Bangkok.

I asked a staff where to continue with my registration and he showed me the way, then went to ballroom 2 and there were staff at the entrance. I asked around and a girl was kind enough to tell me that I only had to walk to the staff to get a queue number and a form.

It was on first-come-first-serve basis.

(I assume both the 'different time slots assigned' and 'You must receive an e-mail before you can come' parts was to avoid unregistered participants who would come and make the venue excessively crowded. /// But since there wasn't too much people, they didn't check whether one has already sent application online or what time slot one got. It was like you could just come without sending e-mail application / you could just come anytime no matter what time slot you got. /// For safety please don't skip the application part, and it's no harm to go early, IF there is a next time 😄)

There was a number on the form, which was the same as the queue number sticker the staff adhered to my shoulder. As soon as I entered the ballroom, a staff kindly instructed me to sit in the front row (according to sequence).

Note: bring a pen! | The form looks like this

As I filled in the form, I found that there was no Composer/Lyricist category. Asked one of the staff there, she told me to write that manually and call her once I'm done. Another male staff came to collect my work and my form. (because the female staff was busy) He needed my queue number to stick on my paperwork as remark... so I didn't get to keep it as my 'souvenir'. I was 22909th, anyway.

The staff said I could leave... so I left...

Unlike other categories which participants were gathered and led to different rooms to show off talents to the judges one followed by another, Composer/Lyricist participants only had to submit work and... go home... and endlessly wait.


There isn't even a chance to observe judges' facial expression or receive feedback... Kinda sad but alright......

Everything was done within 20 minutes.

and that's the end of my SM global audition experience......

- this post is written merely based on my personal view and experience on 171111 SM Global Audition II in Kuala Lumpur -

18 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, i wanna ask abt composer/lyricist audition. I still didn't get it. Is it only need lyrics or we should add our music on it and sing it like demo version? Tq!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Thanks for the comment. I believe composer and lyricist fall in the same group because some creators may compose music and write lyrics at the same time. I heard from another contestant that a girl who applied for Composer category submitted her USB drive which contained music works that she produced. If one can't compose music but is capable of lyrics-writing, applying for Lyricist category and just submitting paperwork will do. Hope this answers your question :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you for answering my question. So, the girl just put her music works without sing it? Just like instrument only? I saw in SM website that it's written as 'Composer (Lyricist)'. What do you think about it means?

      Delete
    3. I'm not very sure about what exactly was submitted by the girl, but I think you may submit one of these: 1. Song demos of self-composed music works sung along with lyrics ; 2. Self-composed music work / instrumental without lyrics or 3. Self-composed lyrics only (as some composers produce music and lyrics simultaenously, some write lyrics to an existing instrumental, while some produce music works to match existing and complete lyrics works) I believe one may apply as Composer+Lyricist or Composer or just Lyricist, depending on one's ability :)

      Delete
  3. Hi, hopefully this isn't an annoying question you get asked a lot, but any advice would be good if you happen to get a chance. It was recently brought to my attention that SM will be doing another global audition this 2018 and I was interested in applying for the lyricist category as well. They are doing it in the US, but I know from past times i've read about where they are located are no where near a city I am. Is it required to actually go to the venue or can we just submit something online and be fine ? Sorry if this was long I run a small YouTube channel where I upload English covers of kpop with a twist I guess you can say. People who have watched my videos seemed to enjoy my lyrics and I would like to take a chance but was unsure of the whole audition process

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for the comment! No worries, it's not annoying at all :) I've only participated once but based on my experience, I believe you'll need to physically be there at the venue to submit your paperwork or USB drive. As I made my registration through SM official website, I only filled in some personal details, chose which city to attend audition and simply uploaded 2 photos of mine (since pdf / doc file types were not supported...), which also means they didn't have the chance to review my work. But I still received an e-mail on the next day which included info on the exact venue and time of the actual audition. /// On the audition day, the whole process at the venue didn't take too long. (< but time taken may be different depending on number of participants in each city) Instead of being reviewed and given feedback on the spot, participants of Composer/Lyricist category were allowed to leave the venue after submitting works to the staff, as they said that successful candidates will later be contacted directly via e-mail. *It's been almost two months since the audition, sadly I have yet to receive any follow-up ;; and they aren't doing the global audition here this year, but the experience was still precious :) If you really wanna give it a try, it would be nice to join at the nearest city to you. Good Luck! ^_^

      Delete
  4. Hi! I would like to ask if is it okay if i go to another country to do the audition because apparently the global audition didn't stop at my country. Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, that will be just fine as you may choose your audition location from the available countries upon online registration at: https://www.smtown.com/audition/apply?lang=en :)

      Delete
    2. That's great! Thank you! :))

      Delete
  5. Hello, i want to ask. What kind of photo i should use in my email to send to them? How many should i put?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I'd recommend submitting registration on the SM Global Audition website instead of e-mail in case it got missed out. I uploaded two, one full body photo and another only showing my face (if I remembered correctly..) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should it be a kind of formal photo?

      Delete
    2. I don't think that is necessary. The e-mail reply that includes audition details (which participants will later receive) is a auto-generated e-mail so I suppose they don't really detailedly look into that part. :)

      Delete
    3. Ahhh, so it can be selfie too right? Thank you for replying me 😇😇😇

      Delete
  7. I have a question: If I enter audition for writing Lyrics do I have to copyright the lyrics I write or can I just write some song ideas and hand them in without registering them for copyright?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thank you for the comment. From what I've learned in college, copyright of a work belongs to the creator by default, unless the work is commissioned / created under employment / the copyright has been transferred under agreement. As I know, copyright automatically exists as soon as an original work is made visible to public. I believe the copyright registration process is only required when the company uses and publishes your work, and usually done by specialized agencies? I haven't heard about individuals registering copyright for own works, though. If you are submitting your original works for an audition, you are the owner of copyright of your own works, so the company will need your permission to have the copyright transferred in order to use your works for commercial purpose. (Please note that you should never submit works that you've already published somewhere else (e.g: Youtube, Personal blog, Facebook, etc) for an audition to avoid copyright infringement.) Sorry this is getting long, but I hope this helps. ///Also, I'm writing this from the perspective of a Media Studies Diploma graduate in Malaysia, based on what I've learned and remembered (but I don't represent every student lol) Copyright laws may differ slightly depending on countries. If anyone who comes across this knows better about this copyright thing, please feel free to comment. Thanks!///

      Delete

Bottom Ad [Post Page]